If a flat stomach is only a distant memory from your younger years, don’t worry, you’re not alone. More than 5,000 people in the UK underwent liposuction in 2016 – 20% more than in 2014.
Liposuction is used to get rid of unwanted fat around the stomach, waist, hips and buttocks as well as the arms, breasts, chin and neck. It can be an effective way to get rid of fatty areas which don’t respond to exercise or dieting, working most effectively on people of a normal body weight.
What happens during liposuction is that a small incision is made to allow the insertion of a hollow tube called a cannula. The opposite end of the cannula is attached to a machine that creates a strong vacuum. The cannula is then manipulated deep within the fat layers, breaking up the fat and drawing it out. Sometimes additional incisions are required.
What many people don’t realise is that liposuction alone isn’t always the solution to the problem. If your skin has lost its elasticity it may be that an additional procedure may need to be carried out to remove excess skin in order to achieve the required contour.
If you are considering liposuction, please do book an initial consultation at our cosmetic surgery clinic in Manchester. At this appointment we can assess how effective this procedure will be in achieving the appearance you have in mind. We can also discuss whether a further skin removal procedure will be required.
Many patients find it helpful to use our 3D imaging service before making their final decision. This involves creating an image of your current body shape and then altering it to show the effect of the liposuction procedure. This can help give you peace of mind to know that your final result will be what you want it to be.
We carry out liposuction treatments year-round but they’re more popular in the autumn and spring. Understandably, most patients want to have their procedures before the summer holiday season or before they jet off to the sun in winter.
To find out more, please get in touch.
5 steps to a flatter stomach
While it may be too late to have liposuction before this year’s summer holiday, you may be able to improve your shape with these 5 tips.
- Improve your posture – sit up straight when you’re seated. When walking, stand tall with your shoulders back. This should immediately help to give you a better outline.
- Drink more water as this helps to reduce fluid retention.
- Move more – just a short, 30 minute walk each day will help.
- Eat well – get plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- You’ll no doubt be familiar with stomach crunches. Try to get into the habit of doing a set of crunches each day. All you have to do is lie on your back with your knees bent and your fingertips on your temples. Curl up so that your shoulder blades lift off the floor, controlling the movement up and down.
Take a look at Jillian Michaels’ website for more flat stomach exercises.
Posted in Latest News