Post-operative Care - Ear Correction
The following guidelines are to help patients who have undergone corrective ear surgery (pinnaplasty or otoplasty).
- The nurse in the out-patient clinic will remove your bandage. There is usually no pain after your bandage has been taken off and the procedure only takes a few minutes.
- You will be prescribed a course of antibiotics for 5 to 7 days following the operation. You will also be prescribed painkillers to take home.
- The bruising and swelling are normal following your operation and will gradually settle down within 2-3 weeks.
- The dissolvable stitches do not need to be removed. They will usually have disappeared on their own about 6 weeks after your operation.
- Sometimes you may complain of feeling light-headed after the bandage has been taken off. This will quickly pass and there are usually no side effects from this.
- You will always have a scar behind their ears and this will look like a thin line. It is important that you protect your ears from the sun as this new scar will be sensitive to sunlight for about a year. It will help if you use a sun protection cream for at least 12 months as new scars tend to burn.
- Once the bandage has been taken off you can wash your hair. This will help to keep the ears clean and free from infection.
- You can go back to playing sports but need to avoid contact sports for at least 1 month. Ear cartilage needs time to heal and mature in its new position. If the ears are knocked they will become painful and sore. Wearing a sweatband during sports will help to protect the ears. This needs to be worn for about a month.
- It is important to protect your ears at night to help stop any damage to the ears. We advise that you wear a sweatband or a bandage at night for 1 month, or until the bruising and swelling have settled.
You should contact us if any of the following occur:
- Fever greater than 100 F or 38.5 C.
- Pain not relieved by two pain relieving tablets.
- Significant swelling or bleeding from the ear.
- Significant discharge from the wound sites after 72 hours.
REMEMBER IF IN DOUBT, PLEASE ASK BY CALLING THE OFFICE 9.00am – 5.00pm
MONDAY to FRIDAY ON 0161-232-2670/ 0161-232-2680 OR OUT OF HOURS IN AN EMERGENCY
PLEASE CALL THE HOSPITAL ON 0161-226-0112.